New Student Virtual Academic Advising & Course Registration - Spring 2024
The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences is excited to welcome our new Hokies to Virginia Tech!
Virtual advising and course registration is the process to help incoming students learn about their major’s course requirements, review their transfer credit, register for courses, and meet with an academic advisor in their major. There are two parts to your orientation: virtual orientation through New Student and Family Programs and advising and course registration with your academic college.
During June, you will hear from both the College and your advisor with important information about virtual advising and course registration. There will be several steps in the virtual advising and course registration process, so please be sure to check and read your VT email daily!
Below you will find a timeline for some of important dates related to virtual advising:
June: Receive College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences welcome email and an invitation to your major’s Canvas Orientation course and an email invitation from your academic advisor with information about preparing for your advising session
Your major’s Canvas course will have additional information about selecting courses for your major.
If you have questions about virtual academic advising and course registration, please contact Amanda Armstrong Weaver.
1. Send all official high school, college, and university transcripts. All transcripts should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions through electronic transfer (i.e., Parchment) or through mail to the below address. Transfer students need to send their high school transcript if they completed 2 or more years of a single foreign language in high school.
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Virginia Tech 925 Prices Fork Road Blacksburg, VA 24061
2. Send all years of official scores reports for AP, IB, CLEP, etc.
All score reports should be sent to the Office of the University Registrar using the Virginia Tech school code 5859.
3. Prepare for your virtual academic advising and course registration appointment
In June, you’ll be invited to join your major’s Orientation Canvas Course and receive an email from your academic advisor. Please accept the course invitation to be able to begin the next steps.
- Create your VT Username (PID)
- Enroll in 2-factor authentication with duo
- Download the Duo Mobile app on your personal smartphone and enroll the device
- Access, read, and use your VT Email daily
- Add your VT email to your personal device (i.e., smartphone)
- Complete your virtual orientation modules - check your VT email for more information after you accept your offer of admission
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you wish to apply for financial aid
- Complete and submit the immunization history form
- Complete and submit the housing/dining contract (requirement for first-year students)