Outreach and Special Events
This past year we partnered with local and regional organizations to help promote dialogue on peace, violence, and human rights issues.
1) Helped finance a Holocaust awareness event, the Reading of the Names, organized by White Rose, a student organization;
2) Co-sponsored a summit on water justice this summer;
3) Coordinated a workshop with Conversations NRV (a New River Valley organization promoting community discussions) for local neighborhood organizations on emergency preparedness.
4) Co-sponsored a conference on the Dark Web that brought scholars from around the world to Arlington to discuss issues ranging from the use of cryptocurrencies to how the Dark Web can be used to facilitate crime and terrorist activities. The group of assembled scholars were invited to the Capital to brief Senator Warner’s staff on the dangers of the Dark Web.
5) Hosted a Town Hall discussion about gun violence with students from area schools and students from Stoneman Douglas High School on their national tour to engage communities in such discussions.