- Religion and literature
- Critical theory and cultural criticism
- Secularism and religion-making in East Asia
- Transnational youth culture
- Women and gender studies
- American Academy of Religion
- Association for Asian Studies
- Modern Language Association
- Ph. D. Religion and Literature, University of Chicago Divinity School
The Pagan Writes Back: When World Religion Meets World Literature (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2015).
“Reading in the Postsecular World,” in Susan M. Felch, ed., Cambridge Companion to Literature and Religion (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, forthcoming), 51–67.
“Strange Paradise: Wrestling with the Golem and Double Idolatry in Cynthia Ozick’s Puttermesser Papers,” Literature and Theology 29 no.1 (2015): 66–85.
“Making Religion, Making the New Woman: Reading Su Xuelin’s Autobiographical Novel Jixin (Thorny Heart),” in Ping Yao, Jinghua Jia, and Xiaofei Kang, eds., Gendering Chinese Religions (New York: SUNY Press, 2014), 71–99.
“Japan’s Orient and Animal Theology in Shūsaku Endō’s Deep River,” The Journal of American Academy of Religion 81, no. 3 (2013): 669–697.
The Child & the Sovereign: Religion, Violence, and Transnational Youth Culture (book project sponsored by the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences summer stipend, 2015, 2016)