What You'll Study
View American life through its history, politics, arts, and literature. Explore the full complexity of culture and society in the Unites States. You'll complete electives in literature, history, politics, arts, communication, and cultural studies, including courses like these:
- African American Literature
- Appalachian Communities
- American Environmental History
- Theories of Popular Culture
- The Politics of Race, Ethnicity, and Gender
The Minor in American Studies requires the completion of 18 credit hours (including at least 12 at the 3000 level or above).
1. REQUIRED COURSES (6 credit hours)
- HUM (RLCL) 2504: Introduction to American Studies
- HUM 4104: Explorations in Advanced Humanities Topics
2. ELECTIVE COURSES in Literature, History and Politics, Arts and Communication, and Cultural Studies Cat least 12 credit hours). Courses must be selected from at least TWO of the following four areas. No more than ONE course (3 credit hours) may be at the 1000-2000 level.
Area I: Literature
Area II: History and Politics
Area HI: The Arts and Communication
Area IV: Cultural Studies
Special offerings, including Independent Study, Undergraduate Research, and Study Abroad, and relevant courses in this or other departments may be used to fulfill requirements of up to six (6) credits for the minor where appropriate. Permission to count such courses must be granted by the minor coordinator. Courses taken to fulfill the requirements of the minor cannot be taken as pass/fail unless that is the only way the course is taught. Students should check the course catalogue for the latest information on course pre-requisites.
To graduate with a minor in American Studies, a student must have an over-aIl GPA of 2.0 and an in-minor GPA of 2.0 from all of the courses taken from the minor check-sheet. TOTAL MINOR CREDITS (Minimum requirement: 18 credits): GPA (Minimum requirement: 2.0): MINOR GRA (Minimum requirement: 2,0):