What You'll Study
Combine the interdisciplinary study of expressive practices (from mass media products like t.v. or film to individual expressions such as painting or canning) with your understanding of historical contexts and contemporary issues. You can take courses like these:
- Theories of Popular Culture
- Social History of Film
- Ethnic Literature for Children
- Socio-Cultural Impacts of Tourism
- Sports and the Afro-American Experience
The minor in Popular Culture requires the completion of 18 credit hours, including at least 9 hours at the 3000- level or above, as follows.
1. TWO REQUIRED COURSES (6 credit hours):
- HUM 2504: Introduction to American Studies
- HUM 3034: Theories of Popular Culture
2. FOUR ELECTIVE COURSES (at least 12 credit hours), at least TWO of which must be at the 3000-4000 level.
- AFST 2754: Sports & the Afro-American Experience
- AFST 2774: Black Aesthetics
- ARCH 4214: Topics in Architecture History and Theory, TS: Frank Lloyd Wright: Buildings & Writings (*PRE: ARCH 3115, 3116, or permission of instructor)
- CINE 2054: Introduction to Cinema
- ENGL 1624: Introduction to Detective Fiction
- ENGL 1654: Introduction to Science Fiction and Fantasy
- ENGL 3514: Ethnic Literature for Children (*PRE: 1204H or 1106 or COMM 1016)
- ENGL 3524: Literature for Children
- ENGL (CINE) 3544: Literature and Cinema
- ENGL 4674: Studies in Contemporary Culture
- HIST 3744: Social History of Film
- HTM 3484: Socio-Cultural Impacts of Tourism
- HUM (COMM) 4034: Functions of Popular Culture
- RLCL 2124: Religion in American Life
- SOC 4114: Sociology of Popular Music (*PRE: 50C 1004, 1014 or AFST 1714)
The following topics courses may be used when the topic pertains to popular culture, as approved by the minor coordinator. Topics courses may be repeated for credit when the topic varies.
- AINS 4004: Topics in American Indian Studies (*PRE: 1104)
- APS (HUM) 4414: Critical Issues in Appalachian Studies
- HUM 4104: Explorations in Advanced Humanities Topics
- RLCL 4324: Topics in Religion and Culture (*PRE: RLCL 2004)
- WGS 3004: Topics in Feminism (*PRE: WGS 1824)
* Please note pre-requisite(s) for this course.
Special offerings, including Independent Study, Undergraduate Research, and Study Abroad, and relevant courses in this or other departments, may be used to fulfill requirements of up to six (6) credits for the minor. Permission to count such courses must be granted by the minor coordinator. Courses taken to fulfill the requirements of the minor cannot be taken as pass/fail unless that is the only way the course is taught. Students should check the course catalogue for the latest information on course pre-requisites. To graduate with a minor in Popular Culture Studies; a student must have an over-all GPA of 2.0 and an in-minor GPA of 2.0 from all of the courses taken from the minor check-sheet.