To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.
*Fall: February 1
*Fall: February 1
** Deadline for admission with full consideration for funding: February 1 **
Most students who apply to the RW doctoral program have a master’s degree from an accredited college or university. The program requires a minimum GPA of 3.0
and TOEFL testing scores of 550 (paper), 213 (computer), or 80 (iBT). The program also requires three letters of recommendation and a statement of research interests, as well as a curriculum vitae and a letter of application.
What You'll Need
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to graduate admissions after you receive an offer of admission.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
Official GRE is required for Rhetoric and Writing (Ph.D.). Please have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for Rhetoric and Writing (Ph.D.). You can include your references’ email addresses in your online application, or have them send paper copies directly to Graduate School.
Please provide in 4000-5000 words an academic writing sample.
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (3-5 pages) is required by the Rhetoric and Writing Program, along with your latest Curriculum Vitae.
Please address the following questions in the letter of interest:
- Why do you want to undertake graduate work?
- Why do you qualify to pursue a graduate degree at Virginia Tech?
- What do you expect to derive from your program of study?
- If you have a concentration or area of interest in mind, briefly outline your interests in this area.
- What do you expect to contribute as a student and subsequently as a member of the profession?
- If you have not previously indicated in your application the names of faculty members you are interested in working with, please include that information in this statement.
Applying as an International Student
International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application.
We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859.
Any Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Applying for Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships
We offer fully funded graduate teaching and research assistantships for full-time enrollment in the program. A question on the application for graduate admission asks whether you want to be considered for an assistantship. Check yes if you would like to be considered for an assistantship.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
*Fall: Feburary 1
*Fall: Feburary 1
*Deadline for admission with full consideration for funding: Feburary 1
- We begin review of applications in February. Students who wish to be considered for teaching or research assistantships will have the best chances for this award if their applications are complete by January. Admissions and assistantships are usually announced in March.
- If you wish to be eligible for university-supported campus visits in February, you should complete your applications by late December.
- To apply to the Virginia Tech Rhetoric and Writing (Ph.D.) program select "Rhetoric and Writing " as your major.
To request further information about the program or the application process, please contact graduate programs coordinator.
Graduate Programs Coordinator
310 Shanks Hall
The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions:
Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown
Mail Code 0325p 155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061