To be considered for masters program, applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with minimum of 3.0 GPA.
What You'll Need
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to Graduate Admissions after you receive an offer of admission.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
Official GRE is required for Master of Arts English. Please have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for Master of Arts in English. You can include references/recommendations email addresses in your online application, or have them send paper copies directly to Graduate School.
Applicants are asked to provide a 15-20 page, double-spaced sample of analytical academic writing. This sample may be comprised of two shorter papers, though a single longer paper is preferred. In addition to demonstrating your ability to advance an academic argument, your writing sample should also make evident your ability to cite scholarly literature appropriately.
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (250-500 words) is required by the Department of English along with your latest Curriculum Vitae.
Please address the following questions in the letter of interest:
- Why do you want to undertake graduate work?
- Why do you qualify to pursue a graduate degree at Virginia Tech?
- What do you expect to derive from your program of study?
- If you have a concentration or area of interest in mind, briefly outline your interests in this area.
- What do you expect to contribute as a student and subsequently as a member of the profession?
- If you have not previously indicated in your application the names of faculty members you are interested in working with, please include that information in this statement.
Applying as an International Student
International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application.
We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859.
Any Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Applying for Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships
We offer fully funded graduate teaching assistantships for full time enrollment in the program. A question on the application for graduate admission asks whether you want to be considered for a teaching assistantship. Check yes, as all of our students are fully funded.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
*Fall: February 1
*Fall: February 1
*Deadline for admission with full consideration for funding: Feburary 1
- The M.A. in English Program begins review of applications on February 1. Only applications completed by this deadline will be considered. Admissions are usually announced in March.