How to Apply?
- Minimum GPA 3.0 (4 Scale)
- GRE (*Currently, the GRE general and subject test are NOT REQUIRED for admission to the Virginia Tech M.A. Program in English.*)
- TOEFL/ IELTS (For all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents). Learn more about testing requirements.
Scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for M.A. in English. You can include references/recommedations email addresses in your online application.
Graduate School Testing Requirements
*Currently, the GRE general and subject test are NOT REQUIRED for admission to the Virginia Tech M.A. Program in English.* Please have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Writing Sample Guidelines
Applicants are asked to provide a 15-20 page, double-spaced sample of analytical academic writing. This sample may be comprised of two shorter papers, though a single longer paper is preferred. In addition to demonstrating your ability to advance an academic argument, your writing sample should also make evident your ability to cite scholarly literature appropriately.
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (250-500 words) is required by the Department of English along with your latest Curriculum Vitae.
Please address the following questions in the letter of interest:
- Why do you want to undertake graduate work?
- Why do you qualify to pursue a graduate degree at Virginia Tech?
- What do you expect to derive from your program of study?
- If you have a concentration or area of interest in mind, briefly outline your interests in this area.
- What do you expect to contribute as a student and subsequently as a member of the profession?
- If you have not previously indicated in your application the names of faculty members you are interested in working with, please include that information in this statement.
Evidence of English Proficiency
The Graduate School requires that all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents demonstrate English proficiency to ensure they enter the university with sufficient English skills necessary to function in a graduate program. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test score is the most common way international applicants demonstrate English proficiency. We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859. See this page if you qualify for a English language proficiency test waiver.
Applying as an International Student
- Blacksburg Campus: Prospective residential on-campus international students might be required to submit immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application. Please consult with Graduate Student Immigration Services.
Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though veterans and some other applicants are eligible for waivers of the application fee. All application fees are non-refundable.
To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.
Priority deadline: February 3 for consideration for funding
Final deadline: February 3
Blacksburg Campus Application Type:
- Please select an Application Type: First Time Graduate Study or Readmission
- Please select a Program: English
- Please select a Degree Type: MA
- Please select a Campus: Blacksburg (Main Campus)
- Please select a Term: Fall
Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions:
Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (Mail Code 0325)
155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
The Department of English has a limited number of graduate assistantships and fellowships available for students applying for full time study on the Blacksburg Campus. Entering students can apply for such funding as part of their admissions application. No separate application required.
The Graduate School sends an official offer of admission to applicants upon the recommendation of the department faculty. Admitted applicants who are offered graduate assistantships at Virginia Tech are not required to make a decision to commit to the assistantship offer until April 15. See the assistantships page for more details.