- Political sociology of technoscience
- Technical practices of policy institutions
- Food studies
- Reproductive health
- Public engagement with science and technology
- Director, Graduate Studies, STS
- Chair, University Commission of Graduate Studies and Policies
- Co-Chair, Theatre Workshop in Science, Technology, and Society
- Co-Chair, Choices and Challenges Public Forums
- Member, Society for the Social studies of Science
- Ph.D., Cornell University, Science and Technology Studies.
- B.A., Wesleyan University, Chemistry and the Science in Society Program.
Awards and Honors
2013-2014 College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Award for Excellence in Graduate Student Advising.
Halfon, Saul. 2006. The Cairo Consensus: Demographic Surveys, Women’s Empowerment, and Regime Change in Population Policy. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
Taylor, Peter, Saul Halfon, and Paul Edwards (Eds). 1997. Changing Life: Genomes, Ecologies, Bodies, Commodities. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Halfon, Saul. April, 2015. “Contesting Human Security Expertise: Technical Practices in Reconfiguring International Security,” In Trine Villumsen Berling and Christian Bueger (editors), Capturing Security Expertise: Practice, Power, Responsibility. (PRIO New Security Studies), Cambridge/New York: Routledge. Pages 141-157.
Halfon, Saul. 2010. “Confronting the WTO: Intervention Strategies in GMO Adjudication.” Science, Technology and Human Values, 35/3 (May): 307-329.
Halfon, Saul. 2010. “Encountering Birth: Negotiating Expertise, Networks, and My STS Self.” Science as Culture, 19/1 (March): 61-77.
Halfon, Saul. 2008. “Depleted Uranium, Public Science, and the Politics of Closure.” Review of Policy Research, 25/4 (July): 295-311.