Department of Science, Technology, and Society
234 Lane Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Fabian Prieto-Ñañez is an assistant professor in the Department of Science, Technology and Society.
His research and teaching focus on histories of technologies in the Global South, particularly through the lens of media devices and infrastructures. He earned his doctorate in communication and media from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. His dissertation focused on ideas of piracy, informality and illegality in the use of early satellite dishes in the Caribbean, particularly in Colombia. He also had worked on histories of computing in Latin America.
- History of Technologies
- Media History
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Infrastructures in the Global South
- Digital Science, Technology, and Society
- PhD in Communications and Media, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- MA in Communications, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Colombia)
- BA in History, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Colombia)
- Research Associate: Center for Humanities, Virginia Tech
- Society for the History of Technology
- Society for Social Studies of Science
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Investigadores de la Comunicación
- Future Faculty Development Program, Virginia Tech (2018)
- INTERSECT Fellowship, Graduate College, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2013-2015
Ingeniería de Sistemas y Computación, 1968 – 2010, los pequeños números que hemos visto cambiar. Ediciones Uniandes, 2015. (In Spanish)
“Postcolonial Histories of Computing,” IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, vol. 38, no. , pp. 2-4, Apr.-June 2016.
“Designs for the other 90%. Humanitarian design and representations of technology use in the Global South.” Universitas Humanistica, vol. 83, no. 83, 2017. (In Spanish)
A reading of technology from feminist studies: the case of OLPC and Sugar Labs in Colombia, Nomadas, Apr 2012. (In Spanish) coauthored with Tania Pérez-Bustos and Manuel Franco-Avellaneda.
“Computing and everyday interactions in Colombia in the 1980’s.” In Sanchez, S. and Zuluaga J., Communication technologies: A short material history. Ediciones Uniandes, 2018. (In Spanish)
Learning through Infrastructures: Cybercafes as Spaces for Digital Literacy. Encyclopedia of Educational Philosophy and Theory, 2016
- Lehmann Fellowship. Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2018
- Tinker Fellowship, Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 2015
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News