Peter L Schmitthenner
Peter L. Schmitthenner is an associate professor in the Department of Religion and Culture.
- Cultural History of British Colonial India
- Orientalism in South Asian History
- History of Technology in India
- Development of Irrigation in India
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MA, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- BA, Clark University
- American Institute of Indian Studies
- Association for Asian Studies
- Award for Excellence in Administration, College of Liberal Arts and Human Science, 2013
Telugu Resurgence: C.P. Brown and Cultural Consolidation in Nineteenth-Century South India (New Delhi: Manohar Publishers, 2001).
“The Grooming of a Colonial Civil Engineer: The Early Life and Career of Arthur Cotton in Great Britain and India, 1803-1826,” Engineering Studies (forthcoming).
“European Scholars' Contribution to Telugu Language and Literature,” in Comprehensive History of Andhra Pradesh, Vol. VI. Ed. V. Ramakrishna and A. Satyanarayana (Hyderabad: Emesco Publications, 2015), pp. 278-290.
“Colonial Hydraulic Projects in South India: Environmental and Cultural Legacy,” in The British Empire and the Natural World: Environmental Encounters in South Asia, ed. Deepak Kumar, Vinita Damodaran, and Rohan D’Souza (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2011), pp. 181-201.
- Council for the International Exchange of Scholars, Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship, 2002 (in India)
- American Institute of Indian Studies Senior Research Fellowship, 2001-2002 (in India)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News