James C. Klagge
Department of Philosophy
241 Major Williams Hall
220 Stanger St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
I am working on two book projects. Tractatus in Context is a commentary and sourcebook of material that influenced Wittgenstein in writing the Tractatus, along with early reviews of the Tractatus and Wittgenstein’s retrospective comments. Wittgenstein’s Artillery is about how Wittgenstein’s attitude to his audience evolved over time and how he became concerned with the ways his readers and students responded to his ideas.
For further information, please visit Professor Klagge’s personal website.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein
- Moral Philosophy
- Ancient Greek Philosophy
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1983
- A.B., College of William and Mary, 1976
- Member, APA
- Advisory Board, Publications from the Wittgenstein Archives at the University of Bergen
- Advisory Board, Nordic Wittgenstein Studies Book Series
- Advisory Board, University of Iowa Tractatus Map
- “Favorite Faculty” Award, from Housing and Residence Life, Division of Student Affairs, VT, April 2016.
- Nannie B. Hairston Community Service Award, Montgomery County-Radford City-Floyd County NAACP, October 2018.
- Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship Award, CLAHS, VT
- Guest Professor, University of Bergen Wittgenstein Archives, Bergen, Norway
Simply Wittgenstein, 2016
Wittgenstein in Exile, MIT Press, 2011
Wittgenstein in Exile, Persian translation, 2015
Ludwig Wittgenstein: Philosophical Occasions, 1993
“Wittgenstein, Frazer and Temperament,” in Wittgenstein’s Remarks on Frazer: The Text and the Matter, 2016
“Wittgenstein and His Students: 1929-1933,” in Wittgenstein in the 1930s: Between the Tractatus and the Investigations, 2018.
“Wittgenstein, Science and the Evolution of Concepts,” in Wittgenstein and Scientism, 2017
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News