There's something for everyone in Army ROTC. Whether you are interested in being a Ranger, going to Airborne School, studying a foreign language abroad, or honing your tactical skills, our organizations, regular military training, and competitions will keep you in the know and on top of your game.
- Army ROTC Basic Camp
- Army ROTC Advanced Camp
- Cadet Troop Leader Training
- U.S. Army Airborne School
- U.S. Army Air Assault School
- U.S. Army Mountain Warfare School
- U.S. Army Jungle Operations Training Course
- U.S. Army Combat Divers Qualification Course
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Global Scholars Program
- Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Olmsted Scholars Program
- Department of Defense Internships
Field training exercises (FTX) are conducted each semester, normally at the nearby Radford Army Ammunition Plant in the fall and at Fort Pickett, Virginia in the spring. Tactical skills are practiced each week during Tuesday leadership labratories. Some of the skills acquired include:
- Small unit leadership and tactics
- Land Navigation
- Field Leadership Reaction Course
- Troop Leading Procedures and Training Management
- Basic Rifle Marksmanship
Each fall and spring, Cadets have the opportunity to go to the range and qualify with M4 rifles, learning safety procedures, correct firing techniques, and more. Ranger Company Cadets train and familiarize with other weapons including the M17 pistol and various automatic rifles and machine guns.
The special domain of the Ranger Company, all cadets have a chance to try the challenging obstacle course at some point during their time at Virginia Tech. The O-Course will test your physical abilities to the limit as you race against the clock to overcome each challenge.
Each spring, Cadets have the opportunity to try out for or "tap" Ranger Company, an elite group of Cadets sponsored by Army ROTC with special opportunities and privileges.
Spartan Ranger Challenge
All New River Battalion Cadets can try out for the Spartan Ranger Challenge Team. The Spartan Ranger Challenge Team competes each fall against all the other Senior Military Colleges and Junior Military Colleges in 1st Brigade at Fort Knox, KY for the opportunity to compete in the annual Sandhurst Military Skills Competition each spring at the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY.