Research Funding and Awards

The Office of the Dean offers a variety of funding opportunities intended to aid tenured, tenure-track, and collegiate faculty with research activities and creative work.

  • Niles Research Grants support a range of research expenses, including purchase of equipment, research assistance, research trips, publication subventions, release time from teaching, and summer research salary.

  • Incentive Grants support faculty research that leads to new proposals for external grants, with emphasis on funding release time from teaching, graduate research assistants, and mentoring.

In addition, this fall the College is partnering with the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) to offer a special $25,000 call for the tenured, tenure-track, and collegiate faculty within the College to partner with faculty in other disciplines and use the seed funding as a foundation for the pursuit of the external funding. This call will be published separately as part of the ICAT call that is anticipated to be announced on or around November 26th and will be due at the end of January, 2019. The same call will contain a number of other opportunities that the eligible CLAHS faculty are encouraged to pursue.

Learn more about application procedure

The Center for Humanities invites all tenured or tenure-track faculty in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences to submit a proposal for a VT Center for Humanities summer stipend ($4,000) in summer. 

Learn more about application procedure

To recognize outstanding achievements by a faculty member or members in research and creative scholarship. Up to three awards will be given for Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship.

Recipient(s) must be College full-time faculty members, and have demonstrated exemplary research and creative scholarship at Virginia Tech for at least three years. The award may be granted jointly to two or more persons when the research was done jointly and was led by the College faculty member. 

Learn more about the award.

The Graduate School each year acknowledges the outstanding graduate student in each college. One award will be given to a masters student and one award to a doctoral student in the College.

Any graduate student enrolled during the current academic year is eligible. Submission of a nomination is open to anyone who wishes to nominate self or other.

Learn more about application procedure.

Funding to help cover the costs of research. For more information please visit Graduate Student Assembly.

TFP provides partial grants to cover graduate student conference travel (this includes transportation, registration fees, lodging, and meals). All graduate students — traveling within the U.S. or internationally — are eligible to apply. The program also can be used to support international travel. For more information please visit Graduate Student Assembly.

Most of our departments and schools offer research assistantships to prospective graduate students. A question on the application for graduate admission asks whether you want to be considered for a assistantship. Check yes. To learn more about assistantships visit our departments and schools assistantships resources. 

Undergraduate research and awards resources are available here.