Humanities Summer 2018 Stipends
Deadline for Humanities Summer 2018 Stipends is September 7, 2017, 5:00 PM EDT
Humanities Summer Stipends ($4000) support intensive research on topics in the humanities in the form of travel funds or summer salary; this competition also determines the Virginia Tech nominees to the NEH Summer 2018 Stipend Competition.
All proposals must be submitted using an online form, accessible here. The form will request the following information:
1) Applicant information: Name; Department/School; Email; Rank
2) Abstract: A brief description of the project and use of funds. 500 characters maximum.
3) Proposal: This narrative must address the following elements: The significance of the proposed research or other scholarly activity; The rationale (justification) for the research or other scholarly activity; How the research or scholarly activity will benefit the applicant’s research program; Any other pertinent information for the review committee to consider. 3000 characters maximum (including spaces).
4) Results of previous CLAHS research funding, if applicable.
5) Publications, presentations, performances, and other activities related to this proposal.
All Virginia Tech faculty may compete to be nominated to the NEH for the summer stipend competition, but only CLAHS tenure and tenure-track faculty are eligible to receive summer stipends from CLAHS.
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria:
► The significance of the proposed activity.
► The contribution proposed activity makes to the applicant’s field and area of scholarship.
► The conception, organization, and clarity of the proposal.
► The feasibility for successful completion of the proposed activity.
► The quality or promise of quality of applicant’s work as an interpreter of the humanities.
September 7, 2017 at 5 pm.
Funds will be transferred to departments / schools after July 2, 2018. A report on the outcomes of the humanities stipend will be due September 15, 2018.
Please direct questions about proposals and guidelines to Tom Ewing.