Conference: Modern Greek Strategic Identity: The Quest for a Founding Myth Between East and West
May 10, 2021
The Research Centre in Political Science (CICP) in collaboration with the Évora University, the University of Piraeus and the Center for European Union, Transatlantic & Trans-European Space Studies (CEUTTSS) are convening an International Conference May 11-12, 2021 via webinar with Youtube broadcasting. The languages of the conferences will be English, Portuguese and Greek.
The celebration of the 200th anniversary of the beginning of the Greek War of Independence in 1821 and the commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the country´s accession in the European Union in 1981 is an occasion that simultaneously allows us to recognize the evolving process that traced the identity of Modern Greece and forces us to reflect on the country’s current position and relevance.
There are three consecutive panels over two days. His Excellency the Greek Ambassador in Portugal, Ioannis Metaxas, will serve as the keynote speaker. His talk, held in English, will explore "Ancient and modern Greece: past, present and future".
Find the full program here.
With thanks to our Scientific Committee:
- Prof. Dr. Silvério da Rocha Cunha, CICP/University of Évora
- Prof. Dr. Marco António Martins, CICP/University of Évora
- Prof. Dr. Yannis A. Stivachtis, Jean Monnet Chair, CEUTTSS, Virginia Tech
- Prof. Dr. Aristotle Tziampiri, University of Piraeus
- Prof.ª Dr.ª Irene Viparelli, CICP/University of Évora
and our Organising Committee:
- Prof.ª Dr.ª Evanthia Balla (CICP/University of Évora)
- Master Rafael Franco Vasques (CICP/University of Évora)