Robert (Bob) Leonard
School of Performing Arts
320 Henderson Hall
195 Alumni Mall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-9299 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Bob Leonard teaches with a focus on ensemble processes, collaborative creation of new work, and development of community partnerships.
He is the founding artistic director of The Road Company, a theater ensemble based in Johnson City, Tennessee that has created numerous originial plays reflecting the cultural concerns of the surrounding community. He is also a founding member of Alternate ROOTS and the Network of Ensemble Theatres (NET).
- Directing and Performance
- Production/ Research Area: Directing, Community Arts Making
- Teaching Areas: Acting, Shakespeare, Improvisation, Directing
- Head of the M.F.A. Directing and Public Dialogue program
- MFA work, Catholic University of America
- BA, Wesleyan University
- Founding artistic director of The Road Company
- Founding member of Alternate ROOTS
- Founding member of the Network of Ensemble Theaters (NET)
- Co-director of the Community Arts Network (CAN)
- Trainer/consultant with the CAPP Resources for Social Change Institute
- On the board of directors of Theatre Communications Group
- Jerry Niles Land Grant Scholar Award 2014
- College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Leadership Award 2000
- Tennessee Good Folks Award; Tennessee Illustrated, Whittle Communications 1990
What is your favorite place on campus? Why?
The intersection of theatre and community at 101 College Avenue and Theatre 101.
What do you most enjoy about your work?
Making theatre with people who find joy and life in live performance.
What was the first performing arts event that you remember seeing or participating in and what do you remember most about it?
Aesop's Fables at Williamstown Theater Festival. What I remember: the story of the Frog who was too proud of his voice. He puffed up his throat to make his voice to chug-a-rum. One day he puffed up his throat so much he blew up. I was five. The impact of that moment lasted a life time.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News