Praised by The New York Times for his "eloquent sensitivity" and The Boston Intelligencer for his "impeccable technique," pianist Hsiang Tu has graced the audience around the world with his creative programming and wide range of repertoire. Recent and ongoing projects have included the complete cycles of piano solo works by Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel and thematic recitals featuring animal-themed music and opus-one compositions. Born in Taipei, Taiwan, he debuted in New York at Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center as the winner of The Juilliard School Concerto Competition, and he has performed in venues all over the world, including the Museum of Modern Art in New York, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, National Museum Cardiff, and National Recital Hall in Taipei.
A prize winner at the New Orleans International Piano Competition, the Iowa International Piano Competition, and the American Paderewski Piano Competition, Dr. Tu has appeared with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, Sioux City Symphony Orchestra, the World Civic Orchestra, and many others. He has given master classes at Cardiff University, Penn State University, University of Southern California, Loyola University New Orleans, Utah Valley University, and Colorado Mesa University.
Before being appointed as an Assistant Professor of Piano at Virginia Tech, in 2019, Tu has taught at the University of New Hampshire, Utah Valley University, and Snow College. He studied with Hung-Kuan Chen, Jerome Lowenthal, and HaeSun Paik, and holds a B.M. in Piano Performance from the University of Calgary and an M.M. and D.M.A. in Piano Performance from The Juilliard School.
For more information, please visit hsiangjohntu.com.
- Piano works of Claude Debussy
- Piano works of Maurice Ravel
- Piano works of Roberto Sierra
- Piano works inspired by the animal kingdom
- Instrumental accompanying
- DMA in Piano Performance, The Juilliard School
- MM in Piano Performance, The Juilliard School
- BM in Piano Performance, The University of Calgary
- Member of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
- Member of the College Music Society (CMS)
- Winner, The Juilliard School Concerto Competition
- 2nd Prize, The New Orleans International Piano Competition
- 3rd Prize, The Iowa International Piano Competition
- Leschetizky Prize, The American Paderewski Piano Competition
- Score Editing: Ravel’s “Alborada del Gracioso” transcribed for Oboe & Piano, co-edited with Elaine Douvas, TrevCo Music Publishing (October 2020)
- “Katelyn Bouska, Miloslav Ištvan: Complete Piano Works.” College Music Symposium, Vol. 60, No. 1 (May, 2020).
Other Creative Works
- CD Recording: "Bestiary on Ivory-Piano Music Inspired by the Animal Kingdom", Bridge Records (October 2020)
- Niles Faculty Research Grant, CLAHS, Fall 2019
- New Faculty Mentoring Grant, Spring 2020
- “Animal Style--Piano Music Inspired by the Animal Kingdom,” Lecture recital, Virginia Music Teachers Association (Fall 2020)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News