Dr. Kristin Gehsmann joined Virginia Tech in August 2020 as director of the School of Education, where she is also a professor.
Gehsmann most recently served as professor and chair of the Department of Literacy Studies, English Education, and History Education at East Carolina University. With Dr. Shane Templeton, Dr. Gehsmann has a second edition of her widely adopted textbook, Teaching Reading and Writing: The Developmental Approach (PreK-8) due out in March of 2021 (Gehsmann & Templeton, 2022; Pearson), and a third edition of Assessing Readers: Qualitative Assessment and Student-Centered Instruction due out in June of 2021 (Flippo & Gehsmann with Halliday, 2022; Routledge).
Dr. Gehsmann earned her bachelor’s degree in elementary education and master’s in early childhood education from Central Connecticut State University. She earned a doctorate in educational leadership and policy studies at the University of Vermont.
- Literacy Policy
- Literacy Development
- Literary Assessment
- Reading Intervention
- EdD in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Vermont, Burlington
- MS in Early Childhood Education, Central Connecticut State University
- BS in Elementary Education, Central Connecticut State University
- Director, Virginia Tech School of Education
- Professor, Virginia Tech School of Education
- Selected as one of the 100 People to Meet in 2021 by Virginia Business magazine.
- Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi (the nation’s oldest, largest, and most selective honors society of all disciplines), East Carolina University, Chapter 114, 2019
- “Posters on the Hill” National Award, Council on Undergraduate Research — Faculty mentorship to Shelby Knudson, Class of 2015, for “Narrowing the Literacy Achievement Gap: Increasing Third and Fourth Grade Boys’ Motivation to Read,” 2015
- CODiE Award Recipient: Best Professional Development Solution for The Words Their Way Online Workshop, 2011
- Stafford Scholar Fellowship, National Institute on Leadership, Disability, and Students Placed at Risk, University of Vermont, Burlington, 2004–07
Reading Plus has been designed and developed in partnership with nationally recognized researchers and authors in the field of reading assessment, reading comprehension, vocabulary, motivation, and visual perception, leveraging the best thinking in literacy. Dr. Kristin Gehsmann is an author.
Select Media Mentions
Article ItemVirginia Tech Chooses School of Education Director , article
Article ItemWant to Boost Reading Scores? Build Silent Reading Stamina. , article
Recent Academic News
Page 1 of 2 | 9 Results