Gabriel R. Serna
- Ed.D. Indiana University
- M.Ed. Western Kentucky State College
- B.S. Western Kentucky State College
- Professor, Educational Leadership & Policy Studies, 2010- Present.
- Department Unit Chair and Professor, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, 2005 - 2010. Facilitates day-to-day operations of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, evaluate faculty, recommend merit salary adjustments.
- Department Chair and Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, 1995 - 2005.
- PhD, University of Florida (Political Science), 2015
- MA, Florida International University (International Relations), 2009
- B.A., Florida International University (Philosophy), 2006
Awards and Honors
Outstanding Article of the Year Award, Journal of Education Finance (2014)
Distinguished Research and Practice Fellow, National Education Finance Conference (2015)
"Higher Education, Fiscal Administration, & Budgeting: An Applied Approach". Rowman & Littlefield, August 2016
"Do Tax Revolt Provisions Influence Tuition and Fee Levels? Evidence from the States Using Recent Panel Data". Journal of Education Finance, 41(1), 2015
"Insiders/Outsiders? Market Signaling and Student Identity in College Choice". Strategic Enrollment Management Quarterly, 3(3), 2015
"Access or Barrier? Tuition and Fee Legislation for Undocumented Students Across the States". The Clearing House, 87(3), 2014 (with David, H.K Nguyen)
"Higher Education Expenditures and State Balanced Budget Requirements: Is there a Relationship?" Journal of Education Finance, 39(3), 2014 (with Gretchen Harris)
The Federal Role in Financing 21st Century Higher Education, Miller Center at the University of Virginia, and the National Commission on Financing 21st Century Higher Education with support from the Lumina Foundation
Dr. Gabriel R. Serna joined the Higher Education program in 2015. Dr. Serna has nearly 13 years of experience in higher education including as director of programming at New Mexico State University, assistant director of admissions at the University of Kentucky, associate instructor at Indiana University Bloomington, and most recently as assistant professor in the Higher Education and Student Affairs Leadership program at the University of Northern Colorado.
Dr. Serna’s research interests in higher education economics, finance, and policy closely intersect with his teaching, which includes course on policy, finance, foundations, and assessment. Some of his additional published work can be seen in the Journal of Education Finance, the Journal of Higher Education Management, the Planning for Higher Education Journal, The Handbook of Strategic Enrollment Management, and The Encyclopedia of Education Economics & Finance.