Catherine (Katy) Ulrich
- 2017-2019, Treasurer for the Virginia chapter of the Association for Mathematics Teacher Educators
- 2016, Reviewer for Journal of Research in Mathematics Education
- 2016, Reviewer for Journal of Numerical Cognition
- 2015-present, Reviewer for Journal of Mathematical Behavior
- 2015, Reviewer for Virginia Mathematics Teacher
- Ph.D. University of Georgia
- M.A. University of Georgia
- M.A. University of Georgia
- B.A. Rice University
Awards and Honors
STaR (Service, Teaching, and Research) Faculty Fellowship, Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators, 2014–2015
- Wilkins, J. L. M., & Ulrich, C. (2017). The role of skip counting and figurative material in children’s construction of composite units and multiplicative reasoning. Virginia Mathematics Teacher.
- Ulrich, C., & Wilkins, J. L. M. (2017). Using written work to investigate stages in sixth-grade students' construction and coordination of units. International Journal of STEM Education, 4:23.
- Ulrich, C. (2016). Stages in constructing and coordinating units additively and multiplicatively (Part 2). For the Learning of Mathematics, 36(1), 34–39.
- Ulrich, C. (2016). The tacitly nested number sequence in sixth grade: The case of Adam. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 43, 1–19.
- Ulrich, C. (2015). Stages in constructing and coordinating units additively and multiplicatively (Part 1). For the Learning of Mathematics, 35(3), 2–7.
- Steffe, L. P. & Ulrich, C. (2014). The constructivist teaching experiment. In S. Lerman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education: SpringerReference (www.springerreference.com). Berlin, Germany: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/SpringerReference_313181
- Ulrich, C. (2012). The addition and subtraction of signed quantities. In R. Mayes & L. Hatfield (Eds.), Quantitative reasoning and mathematical modeling: A driver for STEM integrated education and teaching in context (pp. 127–141). Laramie, WY: University of Wyoming. Available at http://www.uwyo.edu/wisdome/_files/documents/ulrich.pdf
- Steffe, L. P., & Ulrich, C. (2010). The construction of fraction schemes using equi-partitioning operations for connected numbers. In L. P. Steffe & J. Olive, Children’s fractional knowledge. New York: Springer.
- Ulrich, C., & Wilkins, J. L. M. (2015). (PI) Grant-writing Incentive Grant ($3000). College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech.
- Ulrich, C. (2014). (PI) Niles Research Grant ($3833). College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, Virginia Tech.
- Ulrich, C., Kreye, B., Norton, A., Wawro, M., & Wilkins, J. (2013). (PI) Virginia Teach, Phase II: A community-based approach to serving mathematics students in need ($800,000). Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship grant, NSF.
- Cate, A., Norton, A., Bell, M. A., & Ulrich, C. (2012). (co-I) Validating mathematical ways of operating with neural correlates (Math WONC) ($19,000). Institute for Society, Culture and Environment (ISCE): Summer Scholars Program, Virginia Tech.