Prospective students should apply to the Graduate School at Virginia Tech and complete the supplemental information and admissions checklist.
- Bachelor’s degree with A 3.00 GPA for regular admission status or 2.75 GPA for provisional status is required (last 60 hours of coursework).
- Two letters of reference that address your academic ability, teaching potential and character are required.
- Students must be licensed and employed as a secondary science teacher during the program. Those who have been hired provisionally but have not yet received a provisional license must provide a letter of intent from a school administrator. International and out of state students should contact program leader before applying to this program to check if applicant fulfils this requirement.
- Prospective students that have not yet acquired employment may begin taking courses under Commonwealth status and formally apply to the program once employment is obtained.
What You'll Need
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to both Graduate Admissions and School of Education after you receive an offer of admission.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
Official GRE is not required for Science Education Online (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instructions).
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required for Science Education Online (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instructions).
Write a brief essay (1-2 pages) that details your philosophy of science teaching and describe your expectations of participation in a science education master’s program.
Licensed and Employed as a Secondary Science Teacher during the Program
Proof of licensure and employment as a secondary science teacher.
Applying as an International Student
International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application.
We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859.
Supplemental Information and Admissions Checklist
Please include supplemental information and admissions checklist with Graduate School online application.
How much is tuition?
Tuition varies based on in-state or out-of-state status and whether or not you are a teacher. Virtual Campus students do not have to pay activity fees, only a technology fee. Graduate tuitions and fees are listed at http://www.bursar.vt.edu. Our campus is considered Virtual.
For Virginia School Personnel, please scroll down to the bottom of page.
For questions regarding tuition and fees, please contact the Bursar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed forms for the K-12 Employee Reduced Tuition should be mailed or faxed to Graduate School at the following address:
Graduate Life Center
Virginia Tech (0325)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
What about financial aid?
There is a discount for in-state K-12 teachers; use this application form in order to receive the reduced costs. Otherwise, as with on-campus students, we refer you to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information on financial assistance. Generally, distance learners may qualify for federal loans if they take 5 or more credit hours per semester.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
Spring: November 15
Summer I & II: March 15*
Fall: April 15*
*To be eligible for SOE scholarships, apply before February 1.
- International and out of state students should contact Program Advisor, Dr. Takumi Sato (email@example.com) before applying to this program to check if applicant fulfils the license and employment requirement.
You will be notified by the Graduate School about the action taken on your application for admission.
- To apply to the Virginia Tech Science Education (M.A.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction) program, select "Education, Curriculum and Instruction " as your major. You will be able to select "Science" later in the online form. Choose degree option “M.A.Ed.” from the list and then select “Virtual” for campus.