How to Apply?
- To enroll in the program students must have three years of classroom teaching experience. This experience must be obtained by the time the student finishes all of the coursework.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree and a VA K-12
- No GRE scores
- TOEFL/ IELTS (For all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents). Learn more about testing requirements.
Scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arranges for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for Reading Specialist (K-12).
Graduate School Testing Requirements
No GRE is required for this program
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae/Resume
A letter of interest (3-5 pages) is required by the program along with your latest Curriculum Vitae/Resume
Letter of Interest Guidelines:
- Why do you want to undertake graduate work?
- Why do you qualify to pursue a graduate degree at Virginia Tech?
- What do you expect to derive from your program of study?
- If you have a concentration or area of interest in mind, briefly outline your interests in this area.
- What do you expect to contribute as a student and subsequently as a member of the profession?
Evidence of English Proficiency
The Graduate School requires that all non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents demonstrate English proficiency to ensure they enter the university with sufficient English skills necessary to function in a graduate program. A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test score is the most common way international applicants demonstrate English proficiency. We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or an IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859. See this page if you qualify for an English language proficiency test waiver.
Applying as an International Student
- Blacksburg Campus: Prospective residential on-campus international students might be required to submit immigration documents and other additional materials with their application. Please consult with Graduate Student Immigration Services.
Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in the evaluation of your application.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee. All application fees are non-refundable.
Application Fee Waivers
Veterans and other applicants are eligible for waivers of the application fee. This form includes eligibility requirements.
To apply to the graduate program, students must submit the Virginia Tech Graduate School online application.
Spring: December 1
Summer: June 1
Fall: July 1
Spring: September 1
Summer: January 5
Fall: April 1
- Please select an Application Type: First Time Graduate Study or Readmission
- Please select a Program:
- Please select a Program Option:
- Please select a Degree Type:
- Please select a Campus:
- Please select a Term:
Include a scanned copy of your college transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to us after you receive an offer of admission.
The official transcripts showing degree conferral should be sent directly from your institution(s) to Graduate Admissions and School of Education:
Virginia Tech Graduate Admissions
120 Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown
Mail Code 0325p 155 Otey Street NW
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Office of Academic Programs
School of Education
402 Wallace Hall (0565)
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
There is a discount for in-state K-12 teachers; use this application form in order to receive the reduced costs. Otherwise, as with on-campus students, we refer you to the VT Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for information on financial assistance. Generally, distance learners may qualify for federal loans if they take 5 or more credit hours per semester.
The Graduate School sends an official offer of admission to applicants upon the recommendation of the department faculty. Admitted applicants who are offered graduate assistantships at Virginia Tech are not required to make a decision to commit to the assistantship offer until April 15. See the assistantships page for more details.