- An appropriate master’s-level degree from an accredited institution (need 3.0 minimum). Students applying from universities outside the United States should provide official evidence that their overall grade average meets this requirement prior to applying for the program.
- Confirmation of three (3) years teaching experience in pre-K-12 classrooms.
- International students who obtained post-secondary degrees from universities whose primary language of instruction is not English, even if the degree was in English or English as a Second Language or English as a Foreign Language. Must submit TOEFL.
- In addition, international students must take the following exams and receive scores of “Advanced High:” ACTFL tests for non-native speakers of English:
- Oral Proficiency Interview ________ (Advanced High score required to seek licensure
- Writing Proficiency Test __________ (Advanced High score required to seek licensure)
If an international student has met all other acceptance criteria, the program may accept the applicant prior to passing TOEFL and ACTFL tests due to unavailability in certain countries. However, acceptance would be provisional contingent on the applicant’s providing evidence of passing scores on these tests prior to the end of the first semester. Students who do not receive passing scores on these tests will not be able to stay with the program or university
What You'll Need
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to both Graduate Admissions and School of Education after you receive an offer of admission.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
Official GRE is required for ESL and Multicultural Education (Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction). Please have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for ESL and Multicultural Education (Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction).
Please submit a scholarly paper that you wrote during your master's degree.
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (3-5 pages) is required by the School of Education along with your latest Curriculum Vitae.
please elaborate on your reasons for seeking a Ph.D. in Education Curriculum and Instruction, with a concentration in ESL and Multicultural Education. Talk about the ways that your educational goals align with the mission of the program as stated on the webpage.
Interview with members of the counselor education program faculty
As a part of application, candidates are required to have an interview with members of the ESL and Multicultural Education program faculty. If you are shortlisted, a faculty member will contact you by telephone or email to arrange an interview.
An interview committee may consider the following points:
- Previous academic work;
- Leadership qualities;
- Experience in the field in which the student wishes to pursue a degree;
- Current level of understanding of issues and problems in the student's prospective major field of study; and
- Clarity of professional goals as related to doctoral study and relevance to the degree.
Applying as an International Student
International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application.
We require a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859.
ACTFL tests for non-native speakers of English:
o Oral Proficiency Interview (Advanced High score required to seek licensure)
o Writing Proficiency Test (Advanced High score required to seek licensure)
Any Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Applying for Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships
A question on the application for graduate admission asks whether you want to be considered for a teaching assistantship. Check yes. Please note that Indicating that you wish to be considered for an assistantship does not mean that you will be offered one, only that you wish to be considered for one, if available.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
Supplemental Information and Admissions Checklist
Please include supplemental information and admissions checklist with Graduate School online application
Spring: January 5
Spring: September 1
- You will be notified by the Graduate School about the action taken on your application for admission.
- To apply to the Virginia Tech ESL and Multicultural Education (Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instructions) program, select "Education, Curriculum and Instructions " as your major. You will be able to select “ESL and Multicultural Education" later in the online form. Choose degree option “Ph.D.” from the list.