- Biblical narrative criticism
- Gospel of Mark
- Early Christian sarcophagi
- Society of Biblical Literature (past nominating committee, section chair, et al.)
- Journal of Biblical Literature (past editorial board member)
- Southeast Region/Society of Biblical Literature (past president)
- Anglican Association of Biblical Scholars (program coordinator)
- Studiourm Novi Testamenti Societas (elected member)
- Ph.D. Florida State University, 1980
- M.A., Florida State University, 1970
- B.A., Florida State University, 1969
Awards and Honors
William E. Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2014
Alumni Award for Excellence in Research, 2014
Omicron Delta Kappa G. Burke Johnston Award for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership in the Academic Community, 2004
Mark’s Jesus: Characterization as Narrative Christology (Baylor University Press, 2009; paperback 2015).
In the Company of Jesus: Characters in Mark’s Gospel (Westminster John Knox Press, 2000; French translation, Le Cerf, 2009).
The Iconography of the Sarcophagus of Junius Bassus: NEOFITVS IIT AD DEVM (Princeton University Press, 1990; paperback 2014).
Narrative Space and Mythic Meaning in Mark (Harper & Row, 1986; Sheffield Academic Press, 1991).
One of five area editors, Oxford Encyclopedia of Biblical Interpretation, 2 vols. (Oxford University Press, 2013).
“Teaching Mark’s Narrative in a Markan Narrative Way,” in Communication, Pedagogy, and the Gospel of Mark, edited by Elizabeth Shively and Geert Van Oyen (Society of Biblical Literature Press, 2016, pp. 29-43).
“The Healing of the Hemorrhaging Woman on Fourth-Century Sarcophagi from Rome,” in The Woman with the Blood Flow (Mark 5:24-34): Narrative, Iconic, and Anthropological Spaces, ed. Barbara Baert (Peters Publishers, 2014, pp. 109-142).
“Narrative Criticism: Learning to Listen to the Story,” Journal of Catholic Theology and Thought (Korea; invited for special issue on biblical hermeneutics) 72 (2013) 11-43.
“Echoes and Foreshadowings in Mark 4-8: Reading and Rereading,” Journal of Biblical Literature 112 (1993) 213-32.
National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminar, American Academy in Rome, 1987.
American Council of Learned Societies Travel Grant, Sheffield, UK, 1988.
American Council of Learned Societies Research Fellowship for Recent Recipients of the Ph.D, 1984.
Retiring, June 1, 2016.