Education Abroad Opportunities

Types of Education Abroad Programs

There are four types of programs available:

Consortium of Universities for International Studies

Virginia Tech participates in this program for business and communication undergraduate and graduate students. Based in Italy, CIU features a residential campus and faculty from 40 U.S. universities. More information is available at

Academic Credit

Transferring Courses from Other Institutions

  • If you are on academic suspension, you may not take courses for transfer.
  • Credit hours transfer; grades do not
  • A limited number of credit hours may be transferred; see your course catalogue for more transfer credit policies
  • Major upper-level courses are more difficult to transfer than lower-level elective courses because there are not exact equivalents; you should plan to take most major courses at Virginia Tech (of the last 45 hours before graduation, only 18 can be transferred).

Authorization to Take Courses Elsewhere

If you decide to take courses elsewhere and want to transfer them to Virginia Tech, you should follow these steps:

  1. Complete the study abroad form, meet with your advisor, and obtain the required signatures.
  2. Investigate the courses that you want to take; gather information about academic level, hours, and content. You can usually find this information on the institution’s website.
  3. Submit the completed form to 238 Wallace Hall for Dean's Office approval. Please submit this form prior to studying aborad to ensure that the courses you take will have a Virginia Tech equivalency.
  4. Upon completion of the courses, request an official transcript to be sent to the Virginia Tech Registrar’s Office.