- Qualitative Research and Evaluation
- Mindfulness Practices and MFT
- Marriage and Family Therapy Education
- Family Therapy, Substance Abuse, and HIV
- International Family Therapy
- Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
- Director of College Diversity Initiatives, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
- Department Head, Department of Human Development, 2000-08
- Editor, Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 2012-2017
- Ph.D. University of Florida
- M.Ed. University of South Carolina
- B.A. Wake Forest University
Awards and Honors
AFTA Lifetime Achievement Award, American Family Therapy Academy, 2015
Kathleen Briggs Outstanding Mentor Award, National Council on Family Relations, 2013
Outstanding Dissertation Advisor in the Social Siences, Business, Education, and Humanities, Virginia Tech, 2013
Piercy, F. P., Sprenkle, D., Wetchler, J., & Associates. (1996). Family therapy sourcebook (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford.
Piercy, F. P., & Lobsenz, N. (1994). Stop marital fights before they start. New York: Berkley Books.
Sprenkle, D. & Piercy, F. (Eds.) (2005). Research methods in family therapy. (2nd Edition): New York: Guilford. (Reprinted in Korean by Hawoo Publishers in 2010.)
Jaramillo-Sierra, A., Piercy, F. P., Chen, R., Chang, W., Palit, M., Karimi, H., , Martosudarmo, C., & Antonio, A. (2015). Couple and family therapists’ perceptions of women’s depression and preferred treatment modalities: A cross-national exploration. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 26(3), 226-242. doi:10.1080/08975353.2015.1067534
Gambrel L.E., Piercy F.P. (2014). Mindfulness-based relationship education for couples expecting their first child—part 1: A randomized mixed-methods program evaluation. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, doi: 10.1111/jmft.12066.
Dattilio, F., Piercy, F., & Davis, S. (2014). The divide between “evidence-based” approaches and practitioners of traditional theories of family therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 40, 5-16, doi: 10.1111/jmft.12032
Piercy, F. P., Chang, W., Palit, M., Chen, R., Karimi, H., Jaramillo-Sierra, A, Martosudarmo, C., & Antonio, A. (2014). A cross-national study of family therapy training: A collaborative pilot project. Contemporary Family Therapy. 36(2), 250-259. DOI 10.1007/s10591-014-9300-z
Brossoie, N., Farmer, L., Lawson, G., Piercy, F., and Welfare, L. (2015-2017). SBIRT training for students in health professions in rural Southwest Virginia. (My role: Technical advisor for curriculum development) SAMHSA. (Funded for $945, 000 over three years).
Piercy, F. (2015-2017). Two year extention contract from the American Association for Marital and Family Therapy for the Editorial Office of the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. (Funded for $132,000 over two years).