Department of Human Development and Family Science
Steph Cooke (she/they) attended the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and graduated with a B.A. in Psychology, with a minor in Sociology, before earning her M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy from Appalachian State University, where she also received a certificate in Systemic Multicultural Counseling. They are currently pursuing their Ph.D. in Human Development at Virginia Tech, with her program area being in Marriage and Family Therapy. Her dissertation examines how Black queer mothers in blended families experience their identity as a mother, how they use community resources, and how they build and navigate informal support. Steph approaches research from a Black feminist lens and considers the intersections between identity in relational processes. Additionally, Steph currently holds a clinical associate license in North Carolina.
- Black Feminist Thought/Intersectionality Theory
- Black Queer Motherhood
- LGBTQ+ Affirmative Therapy
- LGBTQ+ Youth Disclosure of Sexual Minority Identity
- Cognition and Affect in Older Adults
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy, Appalachian State University, 2018
- BA in Psychology, minor in Sociology, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2016
- Graduate Research Development Program (GRDP) Grant Recipient, Spring 2021
- Resor, J., Cooke, S., & Katz, B. (2021). The role of social communication technologies in cognition and affect in older adults. Ageing & Society, 1-29. https://www.doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X21000386
- Cooke, S., Few-Demo, A. L. (in press). Theory of intersectionality. In J. Logan, B. van Eeden-Moorefield & S. Browning (Eds.), Constructing Authentic Relationships in Clinical Practice: Working at the Intersection of Therapist and Client Identities. Routledge.
- Cooke, S., Nedela, M.N., Shipman, D. & Grafsky, E.L. (in press). Therapist self-disclosure in therapy & supervision. In M. Murph & R. G. Harvey (Eds.), Handbook of LGBT-Affirmative Couple and Family Therapy (2nd ed.). Taylor Francis.
- Hartwell, E. E., Heiden-Rootes, K., & Cooke. S. (in press). Bisexual couple therapy. In M. Murph & R. G. Harvey (Eds.), Handbook of LGBT-Affirmative Couple and Family Therapy (2nd ed.). Taylor Francis.
Recent Academic News