LaKela Atkinson Webson
LaKela Atkinson Webson is a visiting assistant professor of professional and technical writing at Virginia Tech. In addition, her research focuses on writing, mentoring, and racial minority learners. Her works have appeared in Southern Discourse in the Center (SDC). In addition, she is the 2019-2023 Historically Black College/University (HBCU) representative for the Southeastern Writing Center Association (SWCA).
- Writing centers
- Racial minority learners
- Ph.D., East Carolina University
- M.A., North Carolina Central University
- B.A., North Carolina Central University
- 2021 International Writing Centers Association Book Award for Chapter Contribution to Learned from the Lived Experiences of Graduate Student Writers
- 2019 Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Sciences Travel Award Recipient, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina (January 2019)
- Honoree, Eagle Advocate Awards Luncheon, North Carolina Central University, Durham, North Carolina (October 2013)
- NC Professional Writing Consultant of the Year Award, North Carolina Writing Center Network (NCWCN) Conference, UNC-Greensboro, Greensboro, North Carolina (November 2012)
- Atkinson, L. “Practicing What We Preach: Anti-racist Approaches in SWCA” in Writing Centers & Racial Justice. Eds. Talisha Haltiwanger Morrison & Deidre Garriott. Forthcoming.
- Morris et al. “Planning a Virtual SWCA Conference: Reflections from the SWCA Board.” In SDC: A Journal of Multiliteracy and Innovation, 25(1).
- Fall 2021. Morrison, et al. “Black Tutor Perspectives on Trauma and Transformation: An Edited Transcript of the 2021 SWCA Keynote Panel.” In SDC: A Journal of Multiliteracy and Innovation, 25(1). Fall 2021.
Keaton Jackson, K. et al. “Paying it Forward by Looking Back: Six HBCU Professionals Reflect on their Mentoring Experiences as Black Women in Academia” in Learning from the Lived Experiences of Graduate Student Writers. Utah State University Press. June 2020.
UNC Campus Scholarship, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina (August 2017 to April 2018)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News