Jennifer Sano-Franchini is Associate Professor of English and Director of the Professional and Technical Writing Program. She is also core faculty and job placement group coordinator for the PhD program in Rhetoric and Writing. Her research and teaching interests are in the cultural politics of design, cultural and digital rhetorics, Asian American rhetoric, and the rhetorical work of institutions. She has presented and published on wide-ranging topics including the affective dimensions of Facebook’s interaction design, Asian American sonic rhetorics, emotion and affect on the academic job search, rhetorics of cosmetic surgery, composition of mixtapes, cultures of BitTorrent communities, and graduate student professional development at national venues across disciplines including technical communication, rhetoric and composition, computers and writing, the digital humanities, and Asian American studies. Her book, Building a Community, Having a Home: A History of the Conference on College Composition and Communication Asian/Asian American Caucus, wasco-edited with Terese Guinsatao Monberg and K. Hyoejin Yoon and published in 2017. Her scholarship has appeared in journals like College Composition and Communication, Technical Communication, Computers and Writing, Rhetoric Review, Enculturation, and Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization.
She completed her B.A. and M.A. in English at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and her Ph.D. in Rhetoric and Writing at Michigan State University.
- Cultural and digital rhetorics
- Cultural politics of design
- User experience design
- Asian American rhetoric
- Institutional rhetoric
- PhD in Rhetoric and Writing, Michigan State University, 2013
- MA in English, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2007
- BA in English, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2005
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) Executive Committee
- WAC Clearinghouse Publications Review Board
- Spark: A 4C4EqualityJournal Advisory Board
- Literacy in Composition StudiesEditorial Associate
- Present Tense: A Journal of Rhetoric in SocietyEditorial Review Board Member
- Conference on College Composition and Communication Stage 1 and Stage 2 Review
- Former Co-Chair, Conference on College Composition and Communication Asian/Asian American Caucus
- Smitherman/ Villanueva Writing Scholar, 2017
- XCaliber Award, 2015
Building a Community, Having a Home: A History of the Conference on College Composition and Communication Asian/Asian American Caucus. (with Terese Guinsatao Monberg, and K. Hyoejin Yoon) Anderson: Parlor Press, 2017.
“Sounding Asian American: Multimodal Orientalism, Asian/ American Sonic Rhetorics, and Digital Composition.” Enculturation: A Journal of Rhetoric, Writing, and Culture 27(Dec 2018).
“Designing Outrage, Programming Discord: A Critical Interface Analysis of Facebook as a Campaign Technology.” Technical Communication 65.4 (Nov 2018): 387–410.
“Interfacing Cultural Rhetorics: A History and A Call.” (with Casie Cobos, Gabriela Raquel Rios, Donnie Johnson Sackey, and Angela Haas) Rhetoric Review 37.2 (2018): 139–54.
“What Can Asian Eyelids Teach Us About User Experience Design? A Culturally-Reflexive Framework for UX/I Design.” Rhetoric, Professional Communication and Globalization 10.1 (Oct 2017): 27–53.
“‘It’s Like Writing Yourself into a Codependent Relationship with Someone Who Doesn’t Even Want You!’ Emotional Labor, Intimacy, and the Academic Job Market in Rhetoric and Composition.” College Composition and Communication68.1 (Sep 2016): 98–124.
“Feminist Rhetorics and Interaction Design: A Vision for Facilitating Socially-Responsible and Responsive Design.” Rhetoric and Experience Architecture. Ed. Liza Potts and Michael Salvo. Anderson: Parlor Press, 2017. 85–108.
“Taking Time for Feminist Historiography: Remembering Asian/ Asian American Institutional and Scholarly Activism.” Building a Community, Having a Home: A History of the Conference on College Composition and Communication Asian/Asian American Caucus. Ed. Jennifer Sano-Franchini, Terese Guinsatao Monberg, and K. Hyoejin Yoon. Anderson: Parlor Press, 2017. 31–67.
“Cultural Rhetorics and the Digital Humanities: Toward Cultural Reflexivity in Digital Making.” Rhetoric and the Digital Humanities. Ed. Jim Ridolfo and William Hart-Davidson. University of Chicago Press 2015. 49–64. Collection awarded 2016 Computers and Composition Distinguished Book Award.
- Designing Outrage, Programming Discord: A Critical Interface Analysis of Facebook as a Campaign Technology. Live Webinar. Society for Technical Communication. Dec 12, 2018.
- Cultural Rhetorics and Writing Instruction. Program in Writing and Rhetoric. Stanford University. Sep 14, 2017.
- Exhibit on Asian America. (with Quynh Nguyen, Lian Joseph, Michelle Kim, Allan Lumba, and Jenna Phan) Curator: Scott Fralin. Virginia Tech Libraries. Blacksburg, VA. April–May 2019. https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/89317
- Introduction to Professional Writing
- Technical Writing
- Intercultural Issues in Professional Writing
- Feminisms and Interaction Design
- Asian American Rhetoric and Representation
- Visual Rhetoric and Document Design
- Intercultural Communication
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News