Department of English
215 Shanks Hall
181 Turner Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-7739 | email@example.com
Bob Hicok, a professor in the Department of English, has published ten collections of poetry, including, most recently, Hold, for which he has been nominated for the 2019 Library of Virginia Literary Award for poetry.
Hicok’s first book of poetry, The Legend of Light, received the Felix Pollak Prize in Poetry and was named a 1997 ALA Booklist Notable Book of the Year. Other poetry collections include Elegy Owed, a finalist for the 2014 Library of Virginia Literary Award; Animal Soul, a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award; and This Clumsy Living, winner of the 2008 Rebekah Johnson Bobbitt national award for poetry from the Library of Congress.
His poems have appeared in The New Yorker, Poetry Magazine, The Paris Review, The Southern Review, and The American Poetry Review, as well as in eight volumes of The Best American Poetry and six times in the Pushcart Prize anthology.
A member of the Virginia Tech community since 2003, Hicok received his master of fine arts degree from the Vermont College of Fine Arts.
- Creative Writing
- MFA, Vermont College of Fine Arts
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 2008
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship (twice)
- Finalist, Library of Virginia Literary Award, 2019
- Finalist, Library of Virginia Literary Award, 2014
- Finalist, National Book Critics Circle Award, 2013
- Rebekah Johnson Bobbitt National Award for Poetry from the Library of Congress, 2008
- Pushcart Prize
- Felix Pollak Prize in Poetry, 1995
- Hold (Copper Canyon Press, 2018)
- Sex & Love & (Copper Canyon Press, 2016)
- Elegy Owed (Copper Canyon Press, 2013)
- Words for Empty and Words for Full (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2010)
- This Clumsy Living (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2007)
- Insomnia Diary (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2004)
- Animal Soul (Invisible Cities Press, 2003)
- Plus Shipping (BOA Editions, 1998)
- The Legend of Light (University of Wisconsin Press, 1995)
- Bearing Witness (Ridgeway Press, 1991)
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News