Robert E. Denton Jr.
School of Communication
130E Shanks Hall
181 Turner St. NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-7166 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert E. Denton Jr., director of the School of Communication and the W. Thomas Rice Chair at Pamplin College of Business, specializes in political communication with a focus on media and politics, political campaigns, and presidential discourse.
He is the author, coauthor, or editor of 33 books and has written numerous scholarly articles and book chapters. He has also presented more than 80 convention and professional papers.
In addition to his scholarly pursuits, Denton remains involved with local media. He has worked in a variety of capacities including as a senior consultant, a political analyst, and a host. A current political analyst for WBDJ-7 and the Wheeler Broadcasting Group, he has also hosted many of his own programs including “Insight” and “At Issue with Bob Denton” for WBRA-15.
- Political Communication
- Political Campaigns
- Media and Politics
- Presidential Discourse
- Political Ethics
- PhD, Purdue University
- MA, Wake Forest University
- BA, Wake Forest University
- Director, Virginia Tech School of Communication
- Founding Director, Rice Center for Leader Development
- W. Thomas Rice Chair, Commonwealth Eminent Scholar
- Political Analyst, WBDJ-7 Television
- 2019, Communicator of the Year by the Virginia Association of Communication Arts and Sciences, Keynote Address and award presentation at the annual convention of the Virginia Association of Communication Arts and Sciences, March 29, 2019.
- 2019, Appointed to the Academy of Faculty Leadership, Virginia Tech, February 1, 2019.
- 2016, Recipient of the 2016 Carl Couch Center Director’s Service Award, The Carl Couch Center for Social and Internet Research, University of Iowa, presented at the Annual Convention of the National Communication Association, Political Communication Division, November 12, 2016.
- 2016, President’s Award for Exemplary Service, Virginia State University, August 11, 2016.
- 2016, “Tribute to Robert E. Denton, Jr.,” Political Communication Division, Eastern Communication Association, Annual Convention, Baltimore, Maryland, April 1, 2016.
The 2020 Presidential Campaign: A Communication Perspective, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2021.
Studies of Communication in the 2020 Presidential Campaign, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor, Lexington Books, 2021.
Campaigning in the Aftermath of the 2020 Elections: A Communication Perspective, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor. Lanham, MD, Rowman & Littlefield, in press, December 2021 release.
Political Campaign Communication: Principles and Practices, 9th Edition, by Juddith Trent, Robert Friedenberg, and Robert E. Denton, Jr., Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2020.
“Media Coverage and the Practice of Journalism in the 2020 Presidential Campaign” by Robert E. Denton, Jr. in The 2020 Presidential Campaign: A Communication Perspective, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2021, 93-111
“Introduction and Overview: The Historic and Tragic Presidential Campaign of 2020” by Robert E. Denton, Jr. in Studies of Communication in the 2020 Presidential Campaign, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2021, 1-14.
“Media Coverage and the Post-Election of 2020,” by Robert E. Denton, Jr. in Campaigning in the Aftermath of the 2020 Elections: A Communication Perspective, Robert E. Denton, Jr., Editor. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2022, 51-72.
Select Media Mentions
General ItemDenton: “Dumbfounded” photo never showed up before
General ItemElection results could force Republicans to work with Dems
General ItemVirginia’s heated election tests whether the ‘Trump factor’ is a political gift — or a curse
Canadian Broadcast Corporation, 11/07/2017
General ItemAfter Texas Church Shooting, Trump Fails as Comforter in Chief by Staying in Asia
General ItemFollowing the Money from High-Interest Lenders to Lawmakers
General ItemCandidates call in national figures as Election Day approaches
General ItemCandidates consider impact of President Trump on Governor’s race
General ItemCandidates turning to television in final weeks of primary campaign
Page 1 of 2 | 13 Results
Recent Academic News
Page 1 of 2 | 10 Results