Department of Communication
Shanks Hall, Room 151
181 Turner Street NW
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Bill Roth is a professor of practice in the Department of Communication.
For 27 years, Roth served as the "Voice of the Hokies," providing radio play-by-play for Virginia Tech athletics. His jubilant call when the Hokies crossed the end zone – “Touchdown, Tech!” – became iconic. The National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association named Roth the state’s Sportscaster of the Year an unprecedented 11 times. He was inducted into the Virginia Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.
In 2016, Roth joined ESPN's college football broadcasting team.
Roth leads Virginia Tech's Sports Media and Analytics program, helping students prepare for careers in sports communication and broadcast performance.
B.A., Syracuse University
- Voice of the Hokies, 1988-2015
- ESPN College Football broadcaster, 2016-present
- Virginia Sports Hall of Fame
- 11x Virginia's Sportscaster of the Year, National Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association
- WAER Hall of Fame, Syracuse University
Select Media Mentions
Episode 53: Bill Roth, Broadcaster, “Intro to Sports Media” Professor at Virginia Tech
Sports TV Ratings, 04/02/2018
- Episode 53: Bill Roth, Broadcaster, “Intro to Sports Media” Professor at Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech hopes to create perfect NCAA Tournament bracket
- Virginia Tech hopes to create perfect NCAA Tournament bracket
Professor Bill Roth settling into classroom at Virginia Tech
Roanoke Times, 10/14/2016
- Professor Bill Roth settling into classroom at Virginia Tech
Recent Academic News
Page 1 of 2 | 9 Results