Kathleen Rose Parrott
Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management
240C Wallace Hall
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-4783 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathleen Rose Parrott is a Professor at the Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management.
- Environmental Issues in Housing
- Kitchen and Bath Design
- Housing for Seniors
- Cross-Cultural Housing Perspectives
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- M.A., Cornell University
- B.S., Cornell University
- Chair, Center for Real Life Kitchen Design Advisory Board
- Coordinator, Housing Option, Residential Environments and Design, Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management, Virginia Techn
- Housing Education and Research Association Housing Impact Award (co-recipient): recognizes college faculty and/or others who have made significant contributions that have impacted the study of Housing.
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship Award (co-recipient).
- College of Human Sciences and Education Excellence in Outreach Education Award (co-recipient).
Beamish, Julia, et al. Kitchen Planning: Guidelines, Codes, Standards. 2nd ed., Hoboken, NJ: Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2013.
Parrott, Kathleen R., et al. Bath Planning: Guidelines, Codes, Standards. 2nd ed., Hoboken, NJ: Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2013.
Lee, Sung-Jin, et al. “Housing Adequacy: A Well-being Indicator for Elderly Households in Southern U.S. Communities.” Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, vol. 42, no. 2, 2014, pp. 235–251. doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12058.
Lee, Sung-Jin, et al. “Exploring Housing Conditions of Low-Income Minorities in the Southern United States.” Cityscape, vol. 14, no. 1, 2012, pp. 73–98.
Parrott, Kathleen R., et al. “If You Could Be in Charge: Student Ideas for Promoting Sustainability in Housing.” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 35, no. 2, 2011, pp. 265–271. doi: 10.1111/j.1470-6431.2010.00969.x.
Lloyd, J. A., and Kathleen R. Parrott. “The Psychological and Social Aspects of Single Female Home Buying.” Housing and Society, vol. 37, no. 2, 2010, pp. 159–184.
Dr. Parrott co-developed the "Explore Your Dream Kitchen" continuing education program of The Center for Real Life Kitchen Design, Blacksburg, VA. The program boasts 250 participants and $20,000 earned for Center for Real Life Kitchen Design.
She is one of the founding faculty members for Virginia Tech's Center for Real Life Kitchen Design and was selected as an Accreditation Reviewer for the National Kitchen and Bath Association. In this capacity, she serves as an external reviewer for colleges and universities seeking accreditation, re-accreditation and supported status in preparing for accreditation.
Additionally, Dr. Parrott has advised 6 national winners in the General Electric/National Kitchen and Bath Association Design Charette over 3 years. This competition typically involves 35+ schools and 500+ students.
- Fellowship and Grant 1
- Fellowship and Grant 2
- Fellowship and Grant 3
- Fellowship and Grant 4
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News