- Multifamily Housing
- Needs of Older Residents
- Kitchen Design
- Bathroom Design
- Head, Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management, Virginia Tech
- Graduate Program Director, Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management, Virginia Tech
- Certified Kitchen Designer Educator
- Founding Faculty, Center for Real Life Kitchen Design, Virginia Tech
- American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences
- Ph.D. Virginia Tech
- M.Ed. University of North Carolina - Greensboro
- B.S. East Carolina University
Awards and Honors
- Kwon, H.J., & Beamish, J. O. Best 2013 Housing, Equipment, and Interior Design Article Award from the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal for the article “Older Adults in Multifamily Housing: Residential Satisfaction and Intention to Move,” 41 (2), 40-54.
- Housing Impact Award, Housing Education and Research Association. (2013), with Dr. Kathleen Parrott and Dr. JoAnn Emmel.
- Ahn, M., Goss, R.C. & Beamish, J. O. Best 2008 Housing, Equipment & Design Article Award from the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal for the article “Understanding Older Adults’ Attitudes and Adoption of Residential Technologies,” March 2008, 243-260.
Articles and Book Chapters
Hwang, E., Kwon, H., Beamish, J. & Koh, S. (2014). Aging in Place: A Rural-Urban Comparison in Jeju Island, South Korea. Housing and Society, 41 (2), 229-245.
Kwon, H.J., & Beamish, J.O. (2014) Segmentation analysis of US older adults living in multifamily housing: reasons for moving. International Journal of Consumer Studies. 38, 427-434.
Kwon, H., Beamish, J. (2013). Older adults in multifamily housing: Residential satisfaction and intention to move. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. 42(1) 40-54.
Parrott, K.R., Mitchell, K.J., Emmel, J.M., & Beamish, J.O. (2011). If you could be in charge: Students’ ideas for promoting sustainability in housing. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 35, 265-271.
Beamish, J. O., Parrott, K., & Emmel, J. (2013). "Case Study: The Center for Real Life Kitchen Design." In Null, R. Universal Design: Principles and Models (pp. 66-71). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
Beamish, J. Parrott, K. Emmel, J., & Peterson. (2013). Kitchen Planning: Guidelines, Codes and Standards (2nd edition). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Beamish, J. O., Goss, R., Hwang, E., Leech, I., & Norton, M. (2013). Globalization of Consumers: A Year of Study. College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Departmental diversity Grants $7,300.
- Beamish, J.O., Anong, S. & Kincade, D. (2009) Diversity among Consumers: A Year of Study. College of Liberals Arts and Human Sciences Departmental Diversity Grants, $10,000.
- Koebel, C. T (Center for Housing Research), & Beamish, J. (2002-2003). HUD Task Order R-2002-R- 00039: ECHO Housing Demonstration Program. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. $59,676.