Department of Apparel, Housing, and Research Management
240A Wallace Hall
295 West Campus Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-8881 | email@example.com
Julia Beamish is a professor and Department Head of the Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management.
- Multifamily Housing
- Needs of Older Residents
- Kitchen Design
- Bathroom Design
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech
- M.Ed., University of North Carolina - Greensboro
- B.S., East Carolina University
- Head, Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management, Virginia Tech
- Graduate Program Director, Department of Apparel, Housing, and Resource Management, Virginia Tech
- Certified Kitchen Designer Educator
- Founding Faculty, Center for Real Life Kitchen Design, Virginia Tech
- American Association of Family and Consumer
- Kwon, Hyun Joo, and Julia O. Beamish. Best 2013 Housing, Equipment, and Interior Design Article Award from the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal for the article “Older Adults in Multifamily Housing: Residential Satisfaction and Intention to Move,” vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 40–54.
- Housing Impact Award, Housing Education and Research Association. (2013), with Dr. Kathleen Parrott and Dr. JoAnn Emmel.
- Ahn, Mira, et al. Best 2008 Housing, Equipment & Design Article Award from the Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal for the article “Understanding Older Adults’ Attitudes and Adoption of Residential Technologies,” March 2008, pp. 243–260.
Hwang, Eunju, et al. “Aging in Place: A Rural-Urban Comparison in Jeju Island, South Korea.” Housing and Society, vol. 41, no. 2, 2014, pp. 229–245, doi: 10.1080/08882746.2014.11430629.
Kwon, Hyun Joo, and Julia Beamish. “Segmentation Analysis of US Older Adults Living in Multifamily Housing: Reasons for Moving.” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 38, no. 4, 2014, pp. 427–434, doi: 10.1111/ijcs.12112.
Kwon, Hyun Joo, and Julia Beamish. “Older Adults in Multifamily Housing: Residential Satisfaction and Intention to Move.” Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, vol. 42, no. 1, 2013, pp. 40–54, doi: 10.1111/fcsr.12037.
Parrott, Kathleen R., et. al. “If You Could be in Charge: Student Ideas for Promoting Sustainability in Housing.” International Journal of Consumer Studies, vol. 35, 2011, pp. 265–271, doi: 10.1111/j.1470-6431.2010.00969.x.
Beamish, Julia, et al. “Case Study: The Center for Real Life Kitchen Design.” Universal Design: Principles and Models, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2013, pp. 66–71.
Beamish, Julia, et al. Kitchen Planning: Guidelines, Codes and Standards. 2nd ed., Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
- Beamish, J. O., Goss, R., Hwang, E., Leech, I., & Norton, M. (2013). Globalization of Consumers: A Year of Study. College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences Departmental diversity Grants $7,300.
- Beamish, J.O., Anong, S. & Kincade, D. (2009) Diversity among Consumers: A Year of Study. College of Liberals Arts and Human Sciences Departmental Diversity Grants, $10,000.
- Koebel, C. T (Center for Housing Research), & Beamish, J. (2002-2003). HUD Task Order R-2002-R- 00039: ECHO Housing Demonstration Program. U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. $59,676.
Select Media Mentions