Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures
337 Major Williams Hall
220 Stanger St.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising, Virginia Tech, 2013
- College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences Award for Excellence in International Initiatives, 2013
- College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising, 2011
- L.W. Todd Teacher of the Year Award, Classical Association of Virginia, 2007
- E. S. Diggs Teaching Scholar Award 2003
- Chair, Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, 2003-2006
- Additional Articles on Homer, Vergil, Plato, ecphrasis
- Smithsonian Expert, Smithsonian Tours—Italy
- Poetry, ancient and modern
- Latin Language, Literatures, & Cultures
- Ancient Greek Language, Literatures, & Cultures
- Education abroad
- Rome & the shaping of Europe
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BA/MA Cambridge University (UK)
- BA University of Michigan
- Awards Committee, Classical Association of the Middle, West, and South
- Award Chair, Classical Association of Virginia
- National Academic Advising Association Award for Faculty Academic Advising
- Alumni Award for Excellence in International Education
- Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching
The Shield of Achilles and the Poetics of Ecphrasis (Greek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches, Rowman & Littlefield, 1995).
"What’s Latin about Latin Versification or Why Asclepiads Aren’t Boring: A Case Study of Accent and Meter in Horatian Lyric." Forthcoming in American Journal of Philology (55 pp. in ms.)
“Rhythm in a Sinuous Stanza: The Anatomy and Acoustic Contour of the Latin Alcaic.” American Journal of Philology 133.1 (2012) 117-152.
“Listening to Lyric: Accent and Ictus in the Latin Sapphic Stanza.’ Classical World 103 (2010) 159-182.
"Non oculis sed auribus: the Ancient Schoolroom and Learning to Hear the Latin Hexameter." The Classical Journal 99 (2004) 313-322.
Select Media Mentions
Recent Academic News