Department of Human Development and Family Science
203 Grove Ln.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-8958 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pamela Teaster is a professor of human development and family science at Virginia Tech and director of the Virginia Tech Center for Gerontology.
Accepting new grad students:
In need of students for research team:
Name of research team:
- Elder and Vulnerable Adult Mistreatment
- Public and Private Guardianship
- Financial Exploitation of Older Adults
- End-of-Life Issues and Decision-Making
- Ethical Treatment of Human Rights Issues
- PhD, Public Administration and Public Affairs, Virginia Tech, 1997
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Virginia Tech, 1997
- MA, Speech and Theatre, The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1982
- BS, English Education (major), Speech and Theatre (minor), The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, 1980
- Secretary, International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- Board of Trustees, Center for Guardianship Certification
- Pioneer Award for Public Guardianship, Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (2014)
- Fellow, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
Teaster, P. B., Ramsey-Klawsnik, H., Abner, E. L., & Kim, S. (2015). The sexual victimization of older women living in nursing homes. Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 1-18. DOI: 10.1080/08946566.2015.1082453.
Davis, T., Teaster, P. B., Thornton, A., Watkins, J. F., Alexander, L., & Zanjani, F. (2015). Primary Care Providers’ HIV Prevention Practices Among Older Adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, DOI: 0733464815574093.
Roberto, K.A., Teaster, P.B., Mancini, J., Salva, T. (2015). A community capacity framework for enhancing criminal justice response to elder abuse. Journal of Crime and Justice. 38(1) 9-26.
Teaster, P.B., & O’Brien, J. G. (2014). The Elder Mistreatment of Overtreatment at End of Life. Public Policy & Aging Report, 24(3), 92-96. doi: 10.1093/ppar/pru025.
Rowles, G.D., & Teaster, P.B. (Eds.). (2016). Long-Term Care in an Aging Society: Theory and Practice. Springer Publishing Company.
- The Importance of The Values History for Public Guardianship. (P. Teaster, PI). The Borchard Center Foundation on Law and Aging. (2015-2016).
- Research and Recommendations on Restoration of Rights in Adult Guardianship. (E. Wood, PI, P.B. Teaster, Co-PI). Greenwall Foundation. (2015-2017).
- Assessing the Impact of Involuntary Relocation on Nursing Facility Residents. (Karen A. Roberto, PI; P. Teaster, Co-PI). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2014-2015).
Select Media Mentions
This simple, effective program is preventing elder fraud and catching scammers
Market Watch, 11/19/2019
- This simple, effective program is preventing elder fraud and catching scammers
The elder fraud prevention program that works
- The elder fraud prevention program that works
When a ‘trusted’ financial professional targets the assets of America’s elderly
Los Angeles Times, 10/22/2019
- When a ‘trusted’ financial professional targets the assets of America’s elderly
Study: Educated financial institution employees save seniors from exploitation
McKnight's Senior Living, 10/22/2019
- Study: Educated financial institution employees save seniors from exploitation
Elderly getting scammed by their own family members — and one group wants to stop it
Detroit Free Press, 10/16/2019
- Elderly getting scammed by their own family members — and one group wants to stop it
The woman who gave birth in a vegetative state has given a face to an issue that happens with disturbing frequency
Business Insider, 01/13/2019
- The woman who gave birth in a vegetative state has given a face to an issue that happens with disturbing frequency
Retired lawyer launches ‘encore career’ as filmmaker
The Roanoke Times, 05/11/2018
- Retired lawyer launches ‘encore career’ as filmmaker
A Berks man loses guardianship fight for elderly aunt
Reading Eagle, 03/05/2018
- A Berks man loses guardianship fight for elderly aunt
The System of Court-Appointed Guardians Continues to Fail the Elderly
Huffington Post, 10/10/2017
- The System of Court-Appointed Guardians Continues to Fail the Elderly
Page 1 of 2 | 15 Results