Department of Human Development and Family Science
203 Grove Ln.
Blacksburg, VA 24061
540-231-8958 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pamela Teaster is a professor of human development and family science at Virginia Tech.
- Elder and vulnerable adult mistreatment
- Public and private guardianship
- End-of-life issues and decision making
- Ethical treatment of human rights issues
- Ph.D. Public Administration and Public Affairs, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. May, 1997.
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. May, 1997.
- M.A. Speech and Theatre,The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, December, 1982.
- B.S. English Education (major), Speech and Theatre (minor), The University of Tennessee at Knoxville, May, 1980.
- Secretary, International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- Board of Trustees, Center for Guardianship Certification
- Pioneer Award for Public Guardianship, Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (2014)
- Fellow, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
Harley, D., & Teaster, P.B. (Eds.). (2016). Handbook of LGBT elders: An interdisciplinary approach to principles, practices, and policies. Springer Publishing Company.
Teaster, P.B., Wood, E.; Schmidt, W., Lawrence, S.A., Mendiondo, M. (2010). Public guardianship after 25 years: In the best interest of incapacitated people? Praeger Publishing Company.
Teaster, P. B., Ramsey-Klawsnik, H., Abner, E. L., & Kim, S. (2015). The sexual victimization of older women living in nursing homes. Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 1-18. DOI: 10.1080/08946566.2015.1082453.
Davis, T., Teaster, P. B., Thornton, A., Watkins, J. F., Alexander, L., & Zanjani, F. (2015). Primary Care Providers’ HIV Prevention Practices Among Older Adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, DOI: 0733464815574093.
Roberto, K.A., Teaster, P.B., Mancini, J., Salva, T. (2015). A community capacity framework for enhancing criminal justice response to elder abuse. Journal of Crime and Justice. 38(1) 9-26.
Teaster, P.B., & O’Brien, J. G. (2014). The Elder Mistreatment of Overtreatment at End of Life. Public Policy & Aging Report, 24(3), 92-96. doi: 10.1093/ppar/pru025.
Rowles, G.D., & Teaster, P.B. (Eds.). (2016). Long-Term Care in an Aging Society: Theory and Practice. Springer Publishing Company.
- The Importance of The Values History for Public Guardianship. (P. Teaster, PI). The Borchard Center Foundation on Law and Aging. (2015-2016).
- Research and Recommendations on Restoration of Rights in Adult Guardianship. (E. Wood, PI, P.B. Teaster, Co-PI). Greenwall Foundation. (2015-2017).
- Assessing the Impact of Involuntary Relocation on Nursing Facility Residents. (Karen A. Roberto, PI; P. Teaster, Co-PI). Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2014-2015).
Select Media Mentions
Retired lawyer launches ‘encore career’ as filmmaker
The Roanoke Times, 05/11/2018
- Retired lawyer launches ‘encore career’ as filmmaker
A Berks man loses guardianship fight for elderly aunt
Reading Eagle, 03/05/2018
- A Berks man loses guardianship fight for elderly aunt
The System of Court-Appointed Guardians Continues to Fail the Elderly
Huffington Post, 10/10/2017
- The System of Court-Appointed Guardians Continues to Fail the Elderly
How the Elderly Lose Their Rights
The New Yorker, 10/09/2017
- How the Elderly Lose Their Rights
Who’s Guarding Against the Guardians?
- Who’s Guarding Against the Guardians?
Why Guardianship Abuse Occurs
- Why Guardianship Abuse Occurs
Giles County ‘restorative justice’ aims to give a voice to victims of elder abuse
The Roanoke Times, 06/16/2017
- Giles County ‘restorative justice’ aims to give a voice to victims of elder abuse