To enroll in WGS 4754 for internship credit

 Students must select an internship site or project (these can be on or off campus; see below) and contact a WGS faculty member or faculty affiliate who can supervise the internship.

Internship guide and application form

 The students, faculty member, and, if appropriate, on-site supervisor work together to write a description of the internship and the student's responsibilities and fill out the internship application form.

 Once the application form is completed, the student and faculty member submit it, along with the student's name, identification number, and the number of credits for the internship, to the WGS director, who forwards the information to the SOC Advisor (Brenda Husser).  Only the SOC advising staff can enroll students for WGS internship credit.

Teaching-assisant interns

Students must fill out a special application form that must be approved by the SOC chair in addition to the WGS Director.

Generally, faculty will approach qualified students concerning this opportunity.

The application form for teaching-assistant internships is available for the SOC Advisor (Brenda Husser); for teaching-assistant interns, this form substitutes for the WGS internship guide and application.

As in the regular internship enrollment process, only SOC Internship coordinator can enroll student in WGS 4754 for a teaching-assistant internship.

The Women's Center 

The WC offers volunteer opportunities for students that can also count as internships for course credit.

Students must be accepted into these positions or projects and meet the expectations of the Women's Center staff to qualify

See for details, or contact Penny Cook, Women's Center Volunteer Coordinator, for more information (

Students who use the Women's Center as their internship site still need to fill out the WGS Internship Application form in order to get internship credit for the experience.

The Women's Center Director will generally serve as the faculty supervisor on these Women's Center internships.

Planned Parenthood

Offers internships for the fall, spring and summer semesters (summer session runs from May to August).

Number of hours depends on number of credits.

Training is offered.

This is an unpaid internship.

For more information, contact the Center Manager at 540-951-5184 or stop in a 700 North Main Street.

The Women's resource center in Radford

The center offers help to victims of domestic and sexual violence, offers a Court Advocacy Program, and a Community Development Program.

For more information on the center and available volunteer opportunities, please visit

Contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 540-639-1123 or for more details.

Women in Development

 The Women in International Development program seeks to ensure a gender-sensitive approach to all Office of International Research, Education, and Development projects, and to raise awareness about gender and development issues at Virginia Tech.

Duties include:

- Library and web-based research,
- Support for on-campus activities,
- Research on travel-related information for trips to OIRED project countries and assistance with follow-up.

Internship Location: On-campus; 536 Prices Fork Road (0378)

Primary Contact: Dr. Maria Elisa Christie, Program Director, Women in International Development.

Other Links

Internships in Washington, D.C., Institute for Experiential Learning:

NWSA Jobs:

University of Maryland database: http://www/

Feminist Majority Foundation Career Center: http://www/