To be considered for masters program, applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with minimum of 3.0 GPA.
What You'll Need
Include a scanned copy of your transcripts with your online application, then arrange for an official copy to be sent to Graduate Admissions after you receive an offer of admission.
Department Graduate Testing Requirements
GRE is not required for Master of Fine Arts In Creative Writing but you may submit your General Test scores. Please have the testing agency send official scores to Virginia Tech Graduate School, code 5859.
Letters of Recommendation
Three letters of recommendation are required for Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. MFA applicants should include recommendations from professors, published writers, or others who can credibly assess their potential as creative writers. You can include references/recommedations email addresses in your online application, or have them send paper copies directly to Graduate School.
One of these options (please select the genre in which you plan to specialize):
- A 25-page portfolio of original fiction (stories or novel excerpts, double-spaced)
- A 15-page portfolio of original poems (single-spaced, with one poem per page)
Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae
A letter of interest (250-500 words) is required by the Department of English along with your latest Curriculum Vitae.
Please address the following questions in the letter of interest:
- Tell us about yourself as a writer, reader, and person. What drives you to want to write (and read and learn)?
- Why do you want to do an MFA in Creative Writing?
- Why do you want to do it at Virgina Tech?
- If you have teaching or tutoring experience, tell us about it and describe what you learned from it, and/or how you feel it might help you in the college classroom.
Interview with the Members of Program Faculty
As a part of application, candidates are required to have an interview with members of the program faculty. If you are shortlisted, a faculty member will contact you by telephone or email to arrange an interview. You will then receive a formal email invitation outlining the format of the interview, giving names of individuals etc.
Applying as an International Student
International students might be required to submit TOEFL scores, immigration documents, and other additional materials with their application.
We require a minimum TOEFL score of 80 (IBT) or IELTS score of 6.5 for admission. Test scores should be sent to us using ETS institution code 5859.
Any Additional Information/Supporting Material
Applicants are welcome to submit any additional information with application material that would be useful in evaluation of your application.
Applying for Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships
We offer fully funded graduate teaching assistantships for full time enrollment in the program. A question on the application for graduate admission asks whether you want to be considered for a teaching assistantship. Check yes, as all of our students are fully funded.
Degree-seeking students must include a $75 fee with their application, though check to see if you qualify for a waiver or reduced fee.
*Fall: January 16
*Fall: January 16
*Deadline for admission with full consideration for funding: January 16
- The MFA Program begins review of applications on JANUARY 16th. Only applications completed by this deadline will be considered. Admissions are usually announced in March.
- A phone interview is required for finalists. You will be contacted by a faculty member to arrange the interview.
- Writing samples under 15 pages for poetry, and 25 pages for fiction are acceptable; please do not exceed the specified page maximums.Our system accepts recommendation letters via Interfolio. Please see the detailed instructions provided by Interfolio for this purpose.