William E. Wine Award Nominations
October 5, 2020
The William E. Wine Award is given for a history of university teaching excellence in memory of William E. Wine, an alumnus and former rector of the Board of Visitors. The University Wine Teaching Award Committee selects three winners from eight nominees, one from each college. Each Wine Award winner receives a cash award of $2,000 and automatic induction into the Academy of Teaching Excellence.
Nominations in each college are reviewed by respective college Wine selection committees, which are composed of previous Wine recipients in those colleges. Each college is allowed to put forward only one nominee. The selected candidates from each college are then reviewed by the University Wine Award Committee, which is composed of recent Wine recipients across the university. The University Wine Committee selects the three award recipients each year.
Note that because the William E. Wine Award recognizes “a history of university teaching excellence,” the most competitive dossiers demonstrate continuity of excellence over a significant period of time. Also, the dossiers of award winners are those that prove most compelling to representatives from other colleges. Finally, the best evidence of strong teaching is a demonstration of student learning. The most competitive dossiers thoroughly describe what the nominees do and how they do it, as well as how students benefit from the experience. Be sure to follow the dossier guidelines closely.
Deadline for CLAHS nominations: January 22, 2021
- Fall: Nominees develop dossiers according to Academy of Teaching Excellence Guidelines*
- October 26, 2020: Optional but recommended Fall 2020 ATE Dossier Preparation Workshop from 4:00-5:00 p.m. on Zoom. Click here to sign up for the workshop.
- January 22, 2021: CLAHS Wine Nominations due to Jessica Folkart
- Late January: College selection committees select their Wine candidates
- February 5, 2021: Selected college candidate submits e-Dossier to University Wine Committee Chair, Dean Stauffer (email@example.com)
- Late February: University Wine Committee selects recipients
*For more information on preparing the dossiers, visit the Academy of Teaching Excellence website: