Completing Your Degree
An M.A. in English requires 36 hours of coursework, including:
- Two required methods courses
- Literary Research (5014)
- Critical Theory (5024)
- A one-hour course in Academic Integrity and Plagiarism (GRAD 5014)
- At least one of the following courses:
- Digital Humanities (5074)
- Intro to Medical Humanities (5464)
- Teaching Literature (5474)
- A capstone project, which has a thesis (6 credits) and a non-thesis (3 credits) option
Because work in literature and language frequently is interdisciplinary, you may take six credits outside of the department.
Rhetoric and Writing: If you wish to focus your coursework on rhetoric and writing studies, you must take six hours in rhetoric and writing courses beyond ENGL 5004 for GTAs and twelve hours for non-GTAs.
Graduate Teaching Assistants must also take:
- Theory and Practice in University Writing Instruction (ENGL 5004)
- GTA Training Workshop (GRAD 5004)
- Library Research Skills-English (GRAD 5124).